Father of missing Richardson girl now claims she died choking on milk

Adjust Comment Print

The father of a missing 3-year-old North Texas girl has changed his story, saying she choked while drinking milk at 3 a.m. and that he took her body outside after he believed she had died.

Her adoptive father was arrested and initially charged with abandoning or endangering a child, and her 4-year-old sister was removed from her parents care by Texas Child Protective Services. Bond was set at $1 million, Richardson police Sgt. Kevin Perlich said.

He was arrested then and charged with felony endangerment to a child and was placed on electronic ankle monitoring.

After being read his Miranda rights, detectives said Mathews told them had been trying to get his youngest daughter to drink milk in the garage but that she wouldn't listen to him. The alleged admission on Monday came days after authorities said they believe they found her body. Mathews turned himself into police Monday and gave an "alternate statement of events" about what happened to his daughter, police said.

Mathews had previously been arrested in connection with Sherin's disappearance.

Earlier, Mathews had told police that after Sherin refused to drink her milk on the night of October 7, he took her outside to discipline her and told her to stand by a tree in their backyard. "Eventually, Wesley Mathews no longer felt a pulse on the child and believed she had died", it said.

Taylor Swift Is Apparently Throwing Shade at Calvin Harris in 'Gorgeous'
We think it's pretty clear that she's referring to ex Calvin Harris . They just work out, watch movies together and invite friends over.

Mathews had previously claimed that his adopted daughter, Sherin, went missing October 7 after he sent her alone into an alley as punishment for refusing to drink her milk. "Wesley Mathews then physically assisted the 3-year-old girl in drinking the milk", according to the affidavit. Authorities said he waited five hours to report her missing. Mathews admitted to removing his adopted daughter's body from the house, the police affidavit said.

Police said medical examiners used dental records to identify the body and confirmed it was that of missing Indian girl. Charges could also be filed against another person, police said. Just after 8 a.m., almost five hours after she disappeared, Mathews called police to report his youngest daughter was missing.

It is possible that he could bond out again, media reports say.

Mathews originally told Richardson Police he left his daughter outside at 3am in the morning after she refused to drink her milk and after checking up on her she went missing. "But the girl began to choke".

The Richardson Police Department has re-arrested the foster father of the girl. "We can begin looking into those relatives, but it is entirely up to the judge where she is placed". He did not specify how far the road was from Mathews' property.