Fox renewed O'Reilly contract despite knowing of allegations

Adjust Comment Print

21st Century Fox said it had added language to the new contract related to harassment, stipulating that O'Reilly faced dismissal if fresh allegations emerged or new information about existing allegations came to light.

The statement said that after Ailes was sacked, dozens of women accused scores of male employees at Fox News of harassment.

He said he settled for his children's sake. British regulators said scandals in the US have already threatened its attempt to acquire the European satellite network Sky.

"I never mistreated anyone", he said. But the $32 million settlement reached in January has not been reported previously.

Details of the settlement and how the company handled the O'Reilly situation emerged from interviews with two people briefed on the agreement and several others familiar with the dispute; all spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive private negotiations. His camp believes the leaks about the Wiehl settlement might be coming from Fox to hurt him.

In his statement on behalf of O'Reilly (read it below), Fabiani writes, "In it's latest diatribe against Bill O'Reilly, the Times printed leaked information provided by anonymous sources that is out of context, false, defamatory, and obviously created to embarrass Bill O'Reilly and to keep him from competing in the marketplace".

Wiehl last appeared on O'Reilly's show on December 20, 2016.

Trump Offered $25000 to Dad of Deceased Soldier, But It Never Came
But Mr Baldridge was left disappointed after later receiving a letter of condolence and no cheque, as promised. Like other presidents, Donald Trump has made personal contact with some families of the fallen and not all.

"Their legal theory has been that we hid the fact that we had a problem with Roger", Gerson Zweifach, Fox's general counsel, wrote in the e-mail, referring to the prosecutors and Ailes, "and now it will be applied to O'Reilly, and they will insist on full knowledge of all complaints about O'Reilly's behavior in the workplace, regardless of who settled them". Saturday's developments may make that more hard.

Even more so, the network's parent company 21st Century Fox was aware of the woman's allegations, which included "repeated harassment, a nonconsensual sexual relationship and the sending of gay pornography and other sexually explicit material to her", read the NYT.

They agreed that all communications between her and O'Reilly would be destroyed, and she signed an affidavit saying she had "no claims against Bill O'Reilly concerning any of those emails or any of the allegations in the draft complaint", according to the Times.

Fired Fox News host Bill O'Reilly made a $32 million settlement to a woman who accused him of sexual harassment one month before the network re-upped his contract, reports The New York Times.

"His new contract, which was made at a time typical for renewals of multi-year talent contracts, added protections for the company specifically aimed at harassment, including that Mr. O'Reilly could be dismissed if the company was made aware of other allegations or if additional relevant information was obtained in a company investigation", the spokesman added.

The new contract gave Fox an "out".

Regarding O'Reilly's contract extension, the company said Fox News "surely would have wanted to renew" O'Reilly's contract, noting that "he was the biggest star in cable TV". The new contract had stipulations in place that stated if Bill executed improper conduct for the second time executives would have to let him go from his position at the network. The email was obtained by CNN.

Comments