Trump's latest order targeted people from Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Chad and North Korea, as well as certain government officials from Venezuela.
President Trump's effort at a strict border and immigration policy has suffered another setback as administration's most recent attempt to bar immigration to the United States from certain foreign countries was put on hold Tuesday by a federal judge in Hawaii, a day before it takes effect.
The administration had cast the new measure as one that was necessary for national security, implemented only after officials conducted an extensive review of the information they needed to vet those coming to the U.S. Those countries that were either unwilling or unable to produce such information even after negotiation, officials have said, were included on the banned list.
"The Department of Justice will vigorously defend the President's lawful action".
The revised travel ban, as the Washington Post reported, issued on September 24 and set to take effect in the early morning hours of October 18, went further than the previous ban, which had only created temporary moratoriums on travel from six Muslim-majority nations.
Obama aides slam Trump over claim about past presidents, fallen soldiers
Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said later that Trump "wasn't criticizing predecessors, but stating a fact". Challenged on that point during a news conference, Trump said he had been told that Obama rarely made such calls.
On Tuesday, Hawaii federal district judge Derrick Watson also objected to the ban, saying it illegally discriminated against the entire populations of six countries - Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen - and would not, as it claimed, add to United States national security. Chuang's injunction does not apply to people traveling from Venezuela or North Korea. The Trump administration is expected to appeal this latest decision. Mooppan declined to discuss details of the classified report, and said the government does not have to explain whether Trump's advisers disagreed about the ban.
Chuang instead based much of his ruling on his assessment that Trump meant to ban Muslims, and thus his order had run afoul of the Establishment Clause of the Constitution.
He cited various statements made by Trump, including his 2015 call for a "total and complete shutdown on Muslims entering the United States". The third version of the ban omitted Iraq, which was included in the first ban and Sudan, which was in the second version.
Chuang wrote that the president's public statements "not only fail to advance, but instead undermine, the position that the primary objective of the travel ban now derives from the need to address information sharing deficiencies".
On Tuesday the White House said it would fight the newest ban by Watson, pointing to yet another likely fight in the Supreme Court.