15 dead in Libyan air strikes, USA captures 2012 embassy attack suspect

Adjust Comment Print

US commandos captured the man in Libya during a joint mission that was approved by both President Trump and the Libyan government, USA officials told the news wire on condition of anonymity. "Because of this successful operation, al-Imam will face justice in the United States for his alleged role in the September 11, 2012 attacks".

The statement didn't say where or how al-Imam was captured or whether he had already arrived in the U.S.

A man believed to have been key to the 2012 attack on the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi and the murders of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three others has been apprehended by U.S. special forces.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in a separate statement also said that he was "deeply grateful" to US officials for their efforts.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that "the Department of State family continues to mourn the loss of Ambassador Chris Stevens, Glen Doherty, Sean Smith, and Tyrone Woods, and we will spare no effort to ensure that justice is served for these dedicated Americans and public servants".

Switch expected to outsell Wii U within a year
While Wii U was seen as something like the end of the game for Nintendo , Switch has fueled new life into the company. Meanwhile, lifetime sales for 3DS are just shy of 69 million units, with software sales over 343 million.

The first suspect to be publicly charged in relation to the attacks, Ahmed Abu Khatallah, is now on trial in civilian court in Washington, D.C. Federal prosecutors say that Khatallah planned and oversaw the attack, inciting others and ensuring that no one interfered.

"Our memory is deep and our reach is long, and we will not rest in our efforts to find and bring the perpetrators of the heinous attacks in Benghazi to justice", he added. Despite being in custody for over three years, Khattala only went to trial this month, and the case has not yet concluded.

It's doubtful it will be fast enough to satisfy former Marine Mark Geist, one of the survivors of the Benghazi attack.

Mr al-Imam has been charged with murder, as well as providing material support to terrorists and discharging a firearm in the course of a violent crime, the US Attorney's office said. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the USA would "spare no effort" to ensure al-Imam is held accountable. Trump said he'd ordered the raid, and thanked the U.S. military, intelligence agencies, and prosecutors. Al-Imam will face court proceedings in US District Court, in a departure from Trump's previously expressed desire to send militants to Guantanamo Bay. The mastermind of the attack, Ahmed Abu Khatallah, is now on trial in Washington.

Comments