Man dies in Mumbai's hospital due to medical negligence

Adjust Comment Print

Within seconds, he was caught in the machine's monstrous magnetic field and "sucked" into a lethal embrace. His hand got allegedly stuck in the machine along with the cylinder, triggering a massive oxygen leak.

The oxygen was in liquid form which is poisonous. Maru was rushed to the emergency ward but he died just within minutes from his injuries.

The three accused in the death of a man at Nair Hospital here have been arrested.

Since MRI machines generate a strong magnetic field, no metal objects are allowed near it. Hospital staff are trained to ensure this.

According to The Straits Times, a file has been reported against the hospital's doctor, Siddhant Shah, the ward boy and the attendant. A female helper has been detained. Not the first case The Nair Hospital case is not the first such incident for Mumbai.

Boris Johnson 'is descendant' of mummified Basel woman
The mercury inside her body is thought have preserved it - allowing experts to determine her connection to one Boris Johnson . The couple's daughter, Yvonne, married Osman Wilfred Johnson Kemal and their son, Stanley Johnson, is Boris Johnson's father.

The shocking incident occurred on Saturday evening, when Rajesh Maru, 32, was attending to an elderly relative, who had come for an MRI scan at the BYL Nair Charitable Hospital. "The doctor as well as the technician didn't say anything", Maru's relative Harish Solanki told NDTV. Doctors ordered an MRI scan for Laxmi as they suspected she had meningitis and pneumonia. "No security guard was either present to tell him that he should not carry oxygen cylinder with him to MRI room", said Solanki. A ward boy told him to carry an oxygen cylinder with him to MRI room which is prohibited.

He said the ward boy asked the family members to remove all metallic objects, including mobile phone handsets, before entering the MRI room, which they did. "It's due to their carelessness that Rajesh died", Solanki was quoted as saying. Maru was not even a patient admitted to the hospital.

When Solanki and the ward boys pulled him out of the machine, Maru's body was swollen and bleeding heavily. The post-mortem process was video-graphed with the consent of his relatives.

Agripada police have registered a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder against the hospital administration. His blood sample has been retained for chemical analysis. Maru's family, as well as local residents and BJP legislator MP Lodha, protested inside the dean's cabin on Sunday, demanding immediate action against the culprits.

Comments