Doctors In India Remove Largest Brain Tumor Ever

Adjust Comment Print

In a rare and complicated surgery, doctors at a Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) hospital have successfully extricated a brain tumour from a 31-year-old blind man from Uttar Pradesh. (1.4 kg) brain tumor from another patient in 2002. Pal had swelling on his scalp, headaches, heaviness and complete blindness in both eyes as a result of the tumor.

He had been to three hospitals in Uttar Pradesh before the procedure in Mumbai but the doctors in those places had termed the tumor untreatable. According to doctors, the pressure that the enormous mass put on Pal's brain caused him to lose his eyesight. "In a month, it grew over an inch", his brother Akhilesh Pal said.

On February 14, Pal was wheeled into the operation theatre by Nadkarni and his team which performed a marathon seven-hour-long operation and successfully excised the brain tumour from Pal. The doctors said that they hope Pal will regain his vision.

By the time he was admitted to a hospital he was blind and his scalp had swelled so much it appeared as if he had two heads mounted on top of each other.

Mumbai neurosurgeons declared that brain tumor removed from shopkeeper's head weighted 1.8 kilograms. At the moment, Mr. Pal is recuperating in the hospital's ICU.

Measles cases QUADRUPLE in Europe after vaccinations are SHUNNED, health experts warn
This is given twice - at 12 months of age and again at four-to-five years - as part of the routine immunisation programme. The measles vaccine can protect children against the disease, and is about 97 percent effective after two doses.

For the past several years, Santlal Pal had been watching a tumour emerge from his skull. "The part of the tumor within the skull was removed by making an opening in the skull", Nadkarni said.

'The weight of a similar case reported earlier has been 1.4 kgs.

The doctors at Nair Hospital advised the couple on the risks of the surgery.

Along with the tumour, even the affected skull bone was also removed during the surgery and they are awaiting the final medical reports to ascertain if it was benign or cancerous, he added. "The patient needed 11 units of blood and was kept on ventilator three days after the surgery", said Nadakarni. As of now, the tumor was sent for biopsy and results are expected by next week.