Natalie Wood death: Police want to re-interview Robert Wagner

Adjust Comment Print

Wood's death has been classified as suspicious and Wagner has been named a person of interest in the case, officials said.

Anchored by CBS correspondent Erin Moriarty, the special, Natalie Wood: Death in Dark Water looked into what investigators have found so far since reopening the case six years ago. He added that investigators have asked to speak with Wagner, who is not a suspect, but he has declined the request "two or three times" over the years.

Wagner only spoke to detectives after the drowning in 1981 and although investigators have tried to question him several time since they reopened investigation, he has refused, Corina said.

Wagner has admitted to having argued with Walken, but said Wood had gone to bed early, and it was during that time period that she slipped and fell off the boat.

Law enforcement is now seeking more witnesses in the death of the Hollywood icon.

However Corina emphasized that it remains an accidental death investigation, not a murder investigation.

In an April 2016 interview with People magazine he said: "We were all so shattered by the loss".

And if you can help them figure out why movie star Natalie Wood drowned that night - and especially if any current persons of interest had something to do with it - then maybe investigators won't press you too hard on why you didn't say anything in 1981. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the present tend to remember Wood because of her death at the age of 43, which is being investigated at the moment. "Yeah of course we'd like to talk to Robert Wagner".

The Academy Award-winning actress was travelling on her family's yacht, Splendour, with Wagner, the ship's captain Dennis Davern and her friend, actor Christopher Walken, off the coast of Catalina Island.

Ex-Patriot Brandon Browner calls out Bill Belichick over Malcolm Butler benching
Belichick didn't clear up much else on Monday morning during a conference call. He did say he had practiced in the starting spot during the week.

The drowning of the 43-year-old actress on a Thanksgiving weekend off the coast of California in 1981 remains an open case for U.S. authorities.

It's their last chance, Lt. John Corina told reporters.

Natalie Wood's Walk of Fame Star in Hollywood, on February 2, 2018.

Wagner was at the time one of the industry's main leading men, and later became one of the biggest stars on TV with shows such as Hart To Hart and Switch. "People wanted to get involved and tell us what they knew", said Corina. The lieutenant said no new physical evidence has been discovered but new witnesses have come forward, prompting authorities to name the 87-year-old Wagner as a person of interest.

In 2012, her death certificate was amended from accidental drowning to list the cause of her demise as "drowning and other undetermined factors".

"I haven't seen him tell the details that match all the other witnesses in this case", he says of Wagner. Wood's autopsy revealed fresh bruises that, as Det.

"Do we have enough to make an arrest at this moment?"

Gregson, herself an actress, reportedly said she was happy with the investigation but claims her stepfather could not have been responsible. "No", the statement said.

Two years later, Wood divorced Gregson and remarried Wagner. Investigators are now calling Wagner a "person of interest" in the 1981 death of Wood.

Comments