FIBA to probe Gilas, Australia after bench-clearing melee

Adjust Comment Print

On Monday, during a FIBA World Cup qualifying match between Australia and the Philippines, absolute chaos broke out.

Normally this kind of incident descends into little more than handbags but that wasn't the case on this occasion.

Australia was leading 79-48 in the third quarter when a foul stopped play.

Then, with one thrown elbow by Philippines player June Mar Fajardo, the contest turned into an all-out melee.

The action for which everyone actually turned up to watch did continue, briefly, with the game being played 5 v 3. The Philippines team cleared the bench and a fight that went for more than a minute ensued as the referees totally lost control of the situation.

An worldwide basketball game has been marred by a massive brawl after a series of sickening cheap shots escalated into violent chaos.

European Union warns Trump that auto tariffs could lead to $300B retaliation
The new European Union tariffs came in retaliation to U.S. taxes on imported steel and aluminum, enacted earlier this year. The bloc argues that for some goods, such as trucks, United States import duties are higher.

"We apologize to our fans and will await the penalties to be handed down".

The remaining Filipino players eventually fouled themselves out of the game, which was called off before the end of the third quarter.

Basketball Australia's Chief Executive Anthony Moore issued a statement following the match to apologise for the Boomers' involvement in the violent incident.

Although he did not appear to start the fight, Milwaukee Bucks forward Thon Maker - in his first year representing Australia - is seen delivering a flying kick.

Maker, Kickert, Christopher Goulding and Nathan Sobey were ejected for Australia.

Basketball brawl: Australia Boomers versus Philippines erupts into violence. "We are extremely disappointed with what happened and our role in it". Nine players from the squad were ejected following the fight, so they had to play three on five. That's when the game was stopped, resulting in an 89-53 victory for Australia.